ULAR Animal Housing Space Assignment
Assignment of animal housing space by University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) is based on:
- Health status of incoming animals
- Compatibility with other species at each location
- Specific research project needs
Pre-project meetings are scheduled at least 1 month in advance of animal delivery for new animal housing arrangements such as:
- Chemical exposure
- Wildlife projects
- Changes in species or project needs
Rooms are not assigned to specific researchers. Animals of the same species belonging to multiple researchers will be housed in the same room. Animals may be moved to different rooms within a facility with prior notification of the investigator(s) to accommodate additional incoming animals or health status changes.
Investigators are responsible for storage of their procedural equipment (including specialized caging) when it is not in use. Administrative fees may be charged for equipment left in a room that is no longer housing animals.
ULAR Surgery Room and Laboratory Use
- Limited Surgery Room and Laboratories are available at selected ULAR facilities.
- ULAR surgery room is pre-scheduled on a calendar and fees are assessed on a per-day basis.
- Investigators may call (517) 353-5064 to schedule the surgery room.
- Fees will be assessed for cancellations made without notice of one working day
- ULAR laboratories are available for on-site procedures and fees are assessed on a per-day basis.
- Investigators should call the site team leader or supervisor to schedule laboratories.
- Extended use of laboratories can be arranged on a year-to-year basis with fees charged monthly.
- Investigators must provide a valid account number for Surgery Room or Laboratory Charges.
Budget Responsibility for Animal Housing, Surgery Room or Laboratory Use
- It is the responsibility of each department to request only such materials or services as an be paid out of available fund balances.
- Accounts should be updated in CARLOS by Fiscal Officers by the 15th of the month for that month’s billing.
- Billing data is uploaded into KFS from CARLOS on or before the 26th of the month.
Statements for Animal Housing, Surgery Room or Laboratory Use
- The 20th day of the month has been established as the cut-off date to facility posting of departmental charges. Charges for materials, services or animals delivered between the 20th of the month and the last day of the month will be charged in the following month.
- In reviewing operating statements, departments should notify email@example.com of any discrepancies between charges to their account and items detailed in CARLOS billing statements.